Preparation :- Saffron Rice
- 2 pinches good quality saffron threads (spice)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock, or substitute water + extra pinch of salt
- 1 tsp salt
HOW TO MAKE SAFFRON RICE:
- Take one pinch of saffron threads and put them in a spice mortar. Grind the spice with a pestle to a powdery consistency.
- Add a second pinch of saffron threads to the mortar. Do not crush these threads.
- Pour 1/4 cup of hot water into the mortar. Let the saffron soak for 5 minutes. This will open up the flavor of the spice.
- Meanwhile, sort your basmati rice and rinse in a colander. Drain.
- In a large heavy pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium. Add the minced onion to the pot and saute for about 10 minutes, till the onion begins to caramelize.
- Add rice to the pot and saute for one minute longer, mixing the rice together with the cooked onion.
- Pour the yellow saffron liquid evenly across the top of the rice, making sure to scrape any saffron that clings to the mortar into the pot.
- Add broth and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Let the rice cook for 20 minutes, or until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.